The European Mathematical Society
|Home||About Us||Members||Activities||Book Donation||ERCE||Reports|
Report of activities in 2011-2012 by Paul Vaderlind (April 2012)
- The project “Books for Master courses” in Mauritania was partly a success. We send about 25 letters to different publishers around the world asking for donations of relevant books from Mauritanians “wish-list”. About 15 publishers answered in positive terms and sent the books to Nouakchott. However the situation in Mauritania has changed slightly since our contact there, the vice chancellor Isselkou Ould became the head of the office of the President of Mauritania. The creation of the Master program in Nouakchott is now put on ice but the books are there.
- I did my usual lecture-tour to Phnom Penh where I taught 3 weeks in August 2011 an intensive Master class in Combinatorics.
- We have increased the Swedish engagement in S-E Asia (Cambodia and Laos). ISP launched ta sandwich programme with Cambodia and two RUPP students will start the PhD in Sweden the coming autumn. In March 2012 ISP participated in the 5th Conference on Mathematics Education in Developing Countries in Phnom Penh. We visited also National University of Laos and discussed possibility of cooperation.
- ISP visited NMC in Abuja and discussed the extension of cooperation. Three more students (1 Master + 2 PhD) from Nigeria will come to Sweden (the education fully covered by NMC).
- ISP participated in a meeting in Paris (in May 2011) about the AIMS node in Senegal. We had a meeting with them and discussed frames of cooperation between AIMS and PACM. The discussion continued during my visit to AIMS in Capetown in December 2012. Soon will we sign a MoU between our institutions.
- In January 2012 I visited National University of Rwanda in Butare. This was about a join engagement of math departments of Stockholm University and Linköping University in a Sida project in NUR. Mainly it is a question of Master education in mathematics, about 40 students per year.
URL of this website: http://ems-cdc.org
Last modified: 10 March 2014