- EMS Council 2014 in Donostia/San Sebastián (Spain), June 28-29 2014
- AMS-EMS-SPM International Meeting
The joint meeting of the American Mathematical Society, the European Mathematical Society and the hosting Portuguese Mathematical Society will be held in the UNESCO world heritage city of Porto, on June 10-13, 2015.
Evening Public Lecture: Marcus du Sautoy, University of Oxford (UK).
Rui Loja Fernandes, University of Illinois (USA).
Irene Fonseca, Carnegie Mellon University (USA).
Annette Huber-Klawitter, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität (Germany).
Mikhail Khovanov, Columbia University (USA).
André Neves, Imperial College, London (UK).
Sylvia Serfaty, Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris (France).
Gigliola Staffilani, MIT (USA).
Marcelo Viana, Instituto de Matemática Pura e Aplicada (Brazil).
The Program Committee will select the proposals for special sessions submitted by June 1, 2014.
- Abel Prize 2014
On the 20th of May 2014, Yakov G. Sinai (Princeton University, USA, and Landau Institute for Theoretical Physics, Russian Academy of Sciences) received the Abel Prize from HRH The Crown Prince of Norway. The award ceremony was held at the University Aula in Oslo (Norway).
News from EMS
EMS Schools in Applied Mathematics 2014
- CIME-EMS School on Centralized and Distributed Multi-agent Optimization: Models and Algorithms
Cetraro (Italy) June 23-June 28 2014.
- EMS-ESMTB School on Mathematical Ecology and Evolution: Dynamics of Infectious Diseases.
Helsinki (Finland) August 17-14 2014.
- Seventh European Summer School in Financial Mathematics
Oxford (UK) 1-5 September 2014.
- EMS School on Stochastic Analysis with applications in biology, finance and physics
Bedlewo (Poland) 6-11 October 2014.
EMS Schools 2014
- EMS Summer School on Interactions between Dynamical Systems and PDEs
Barcelona (Spain) June 16-20 2014.
- ESI-EMS-IAMP School on Mathematical Relativity, Vienna (Austria) July 28-August 1.
- EMS Summer School on Dyadic Harmonic Analysis and Related topics
Santander (Spain) September 2014.
Activities sponsored by the EMS
- 6th European Women in Mathematics Summer School. Institute Mittag-Leffler, June 23-27.
- First Joint International Meeting RSME-SCM-SEMA-SIMAI-UMI,
Bilbao, June 30-July 4.
- Caucasian Mathematical Conference
Tbilisi, Georgia, September 5-6, 2014
A joint initiative by: The Armenian Mathematical Union, the Azerbajan Mathematical Unions, the Georgian Mathematical Union, the Iranian Mathematical Society, the Moscow Mathematical Society and the Turkish Mathematical Society.
News from EMS Committees
In this issue:
Committee for Developing Countries (CDC)
The book donation scheme, where documents are collected and sent to libraries in countries where the documentation is either nonexistent or very limited, continues. One difficulty is the postage costs.
The Committee welcomes donations of books and journals and financial support for the transport. Books are preferred to journals.
One of the recent and successful initiatives of the committee is the creation of the label "Emerging Regional Centres of Excellence"(ERCE). This label recognizes the important role played by the awarded institution
in education at the Master level in its region. By now, three centers have been awarded the ERCE label: the Abdus Salam School of Mathematical Sciences (ASSMS) in Pakistan (2011), the Centro de Investigación en Matemáticas, (CIMAT) in Mexico (2013), and the Vietnam Institute for Advanced Studies in Mathematics (VIASM) in Vietnam (2013). In the last annual meeting of the committee in April 2014, two more centers were recommended to be awarded the ERCE label.
The committee will participate at the event "Mathematics in Emerging Nations: Achievements and Opportunities" (MENAO) in Seoul (Korea) on Tuesday, August 12, 2014, just before the ICM.
The committee provides some financial support for the travel expenses of young students from developing countries to participate in training activities, to PhD students to pursue studies in ERCE centers and to the organization of some workshops.
More information at
Michel Waldschmidt, Chair of the Committee
Breaking news from Committees
EURANDOM (ERCOM Committee)
A consortium of 11 top-researchers have received a sizeable grant from the Dutch government for initializing a broad project on NETWORKS.
The programme will start June 1, 2014.
More information : http://www.thenetworkcenter.nl/
Networks is currently soliciting researchers (14 PhD students, 7 Postdocs, 7 tenure trackers).
More details on : http://www.thenetworkcenter.nl/Applications/
News from EMS Member Societies
Catalan Mathematical Society
- Barcelona Mathematical Days, BMD 2014
Institut d’Estudis Catalans, Barcelona, November 7-8, 2014
Plenary Speakers: Javier Fernández de Bobadilla (ICMAT, Madrid), Stéphane Mallat (École Normale Supérieure, Paris), Edriss S. Titi (Weizmann Institute of Science and The University of California, Irvine) and Günter M. Ziegler (Freie Universität Berlin)
- Barcelona Dynamical Systems Prize 2015
With the patronage of Professor Carles Simó, the Societat Catalana de Matemàtiques will award a prize to the author or authors of a paper or research work in the area of Dynamical Systems, published or accepted for publication between May 1, 2013 and April 30, 2015.
Italian Mathematical Union
- Book Prize of the Unione Matematica Italiana (UMI)
The UMI has established a Prize of 4000 Euros, sponsored by
Springer-Verlag, for an excellent, original
monograph in any field of mathematics. The first edition of the Prize will
be awarded at the general UMI congress which will take place in Siena,
September 2015. Applications and nomination letters must be sent to
the UMI office (Piazza di Porta San Donato 5, I-40126 Bologna)
not later than November 30, 2014. More information on
- Federigo Enriques Prize 2014
The Unione Matematica Italiana, in collaboration with Centro Studi
Enriques, announces the Federigo Enriques Prize, to be awarded to a
doctoral dissertation on subjects related to Federigo Enriques'
mathematical thought and defended in the last two years. Applications must
be sent to UMI, Piazza di Porta San Donato 5, 40126 Bologna,
not later than November 30, 2014. More information on
Royal Spanish Mathematical Society
- 8th Math Education School Miguel de Guzman: "The Math we need: Creativity and good practices in secondary school”
Universidad Complutense de Madrid, June 9-11, 2014.
- Third joint meeting between Sociedad Matematica Mexicana and Real Sociedad Matematica Española
Zacatecas (Mexico) September 1-4, 2014.
- 5th Iberian Mathematical Meeting, a joint meeting of the Portuguese Mathematical Society and the Royal Spanish Mathematical Society.
University of Aveiro, Portugal, October 3-5, 2014
Main scientific areas of this edition: Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems, Geometry, Topology and Industrial Mathematics.
Issue #92 is going to be online at the beginning of June:
In this issue:
Editorial: IMAGINARY – Mathematics Communication for the 21st Century
G.-M. Greuel, A.D. Matt & A.S.J.S. Mey
- On Some Conjectures in Additive Number Theory – P.Mihailescu
- Ideas That Will Outlast Us – L. Vainerman
- Mathematical Knowledge Management: Transcending the One-Brain-Barrier with Theory Graphs – M. Kohlhaas
- Who Are the Invited Speakers at ICM 2014? – M.Andler
- Buffon: Did He Actually Throw Sticks? – E. Behrends & J. Buescu
- Guarding your Searches: Data Protection at zbMATH – J. Holzkämper & O. Teschke
- The Newsletter is now on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/EMSnewsletter and Twitter, https://twitter.com/EMSnewsletter.
EMS Publishing House
Most recent Books
The Defocusing NLS Equation and Its Normal Form
Benoît Grébert, Thomas Kappeler
Metric Spaces, Convexity and Nonpositive Curvature - Second edition
Lecture Notes on Cluster Algebras
Robert J. Marsh
From Newton to Boltzmann: Hard Spheres and Short-range Potentials
I. Gallagher, L. Saint-Raymond, B. Texier
EMS surveys in Mathematical Sciences
This series is dedicated to publishing authoritative surveys and high-level expositions in all areas of mathematical sciences.
The first issue is on line with articles of Terence Tao, Alberto Bressan et al., Benjamin Allen and Martin A. Nowak.
More information available on:http://www.ems-ph.org/
There was an error in EMS e-news 10.
The Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (UK) News on 100 Leading UK Scientists was reported in a wrong category.
The IMA is an EMS Member Society and does not belong to the Research Centres of the EMS Committee ERCOM.
The Editor apologizes for this mistake.
For questions, comments or suggestions about the e-News, please contact Professor Mireille Chaleyat-Maurel, Université Paris Descartes, Editor of the EMS E-News.