President Putin signs controversial Academy of Sciences Reform Bill
European Research Council
Jean-Pierre Bourguignon, the 2nd president of the European Mathematical Society (1995-98), will be the next president of the European Research Council (ERC). Professor Bourguignon was nominated for this position by the EMS to a search committee set up by the European Commission.
- Meeting of Presidents of EMS Member Societies, Istanbul, April 12, 2014.
By invitation of the Turkish Mathematical Society.
- EMS Council 2014, Donostia (San Sebastian, ES), June 28-29, 2014.
The first announcement will be published in the December issue of the EMS Newsletter.
- AMS-EMS-SMP Meeting, Porto June 10-13, 2015
Jorge Almeida, University of Porto
Georgia Benkart, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Nils Dencker, Lund University
Gustavo Granja, Instituto Superior Técnico, Lisboa
Luís Nunes Vicente, University of Coimbra,
Alexey Parshin, Steklov Institute, Mosow
Carlos Rocha, University of Lisbon
Jean Taylor, Courant Institute of New York University and Rutgers University
Susanna Terracini, University of Torino.
- EMS Diderot Mathematical Forum
6th Diderot Mathematical Forum 2013 "Mathematics of Planet Earth Berlin/Exeter/Zagreb" December 17th 2013
- EMS Lecture 2014
Miguel Ángel Herrero, University Complutense de Madrid will be the EMS Lecturer in 2014.
A series of his lectures on Mathematical Modelling and Simulation in Biomedicine
will be delivered at the joint International Meeting RSME-SCM-SEMA-SIMAI-UMI, Bilbao, June 30 - July 4, 2014.
- Joint International Meeting RSME-SCM-SEMA-SIMAI-UMI, Bilbao, June 30 - July 4, 2014
Note the deadline for proposals for special sessions: January 15, 2014.
Israel Mathematical Union
Second Joint International Meeting of the Israel Mathematical Union and the American Mathematical Society, June 16-19, 2014, Tel-Aviv and Bar-Ilan Universities.
Italian Mathematical Union
- The Italian Mathematical Union created an on-line map of Italian mathematicians working abroad. The map is available at http://umi.dm.unibo.it/mappa/
- A special stamp dedicated to Archimedes has been issued by the Italian postal services group Poste Italiane to celebrate 2300 years of birth of the scientist. More information is available at
Portuguese Mathematical Society
The Portuguese Mathematical Society’s TV programme “This is Mathematics” was awarded the Special Tribute Award VerCiência 2013, "for the excellence of the programmes produced, which present topics of mathematics in an attractive and enjoyable way".
The award was given by the International Exhibition of Science on TV VerCiência, held in Brazil between October 21 and November 3. This tribute is assigned annually to a TV programme, series or channel in recognition of its relevant contribution to the spreading of knowledge and dissemination of scientific culture through television.
“This is Mathematics" is broadcasted by SIC, produced by Sigma 3 and supported by COMPETE and Ciência Viva.
Royal Spanish Mathematical Society (RSME)
- Second RSME Young Researchers Conference. The conference was held in Sevilla, October 16-20, 2013. http://www.imus.us.es/2cji/?lang=eng
It was organized by and for young researchers in mathematics. The program included 16 special sessions and brought together around 275 participants.
The Newsletter #90, with its brand-new cover, is going to be online at the beginning of December:
In this issue:
Most recent Books
Lectures on Representations of Surface Groups
Jacques Tits, Œuvres - Collected Works (four Volumes)
Edited by Francis Buekenhout, Bernhard Matthias Mühlherr, Jean-Pierre Tignol, Hendrik Van Maldeghem
Both titles are not yet on-line, but will appear on the homepage at:
Annales de l’Institut Henri Poincaré D (Combinatorics, Physics and their Interactions)
Editors: Gérard H. E. Duchamp, Vincent Rivasseau, Alan Sokal and Adrian Tanasa
Anton Alekseev, David Cimasoni, Daniel Coray, Pierre de la Harpe, Anders Karlsson, Nicolas Monod, Tatiana Smirnova-Nagnibeda, John Steinig, András Szenes, Vaughan F. R. Jones
More information available on:http://www.ems-ph.org/
Wallenberg programme in mathematics
- Post-doc programme for recruiting young foreign researchers to Sweden
- Visiting scholar programme for foreign researchers
For questions, comments or suggestions, please contact Professor Mireille Chaleyat-Maurel, Université Paris Descartes, Editor of the EMS E-News
Previous EMS E-news: