EMS e-News 14, February 2015
- Nominations for EMS Prizes
Celebrations of mathematical achievement are highlights of every European Mathematical Congress. Following tradition, various prizes will be awarded at the 7th ECM in Berlin in July 2016: ten EMS prizes for young mathematicians, the Felix Klein Prize in Applied Mathematics, and the Otto Neugebauer Prize in the History of Mathematics. The calls for nomination are open:
- Bids for the 8th ECM
The Society must think ahead. The previous issue of the EMS Newsletter,
invites preliminary bids for the organization of our 8th Congress, to convene in 2020. These should reach the EMS Secretariat, email@example.com, by the end of February.
- Our forthcoming anniversary
In autumn this year, the EMS will celebrate 25 years since its foundation. Following a kind invitation from the Institut Henri Poincaré, we shall mark this occasion with a one day meeting on October 22, 2015, in Paris. It will be an opportunity not only to look back, but to discuss future challenges for the European mathematical community.
- Juncker plan cuts
The new European Commission has published a draft of its planned investment package to revive European economies. While the intent may be laudable, it is less encouraging to see where the money is taken from. Horizon 2020 is set to lose 2.7 billion, and even leading Excellent Science programmes will be hit: the European Research Council by 221 million and Marie Skłodowska-Curie by 100 million.
The Initiative for Sciences in Europe, of which the EMS is a part, launched a protest campaign, http://www.no-cuts-on-research.eu/emailcampaign/
- AMS-EMS-SPM International Meeting
A joint meeting of the American Mathematical Society, the European Mathematical Society, and hosts the Portuguese Mathematical Society will be held in Porto (Portugal) on 10-13, June 2015. Registration is now open.
Further information: http://aep-math2015.spm.pt/
- LMS/EMS Joint Anniversary Mathematical Weekend
As part of the celebrations of the London Mathematical Society’s 150th anniversary and the 25th anniversary of the European Mathematical Society, the two societies will be hosting a joint weekend at the University of Birmingham (UK) on 18-20 September 2015.
Further information: http://www.lms.ac.uk/2015/joint_weekend
EMS SUMMER SCHOOLS
- EMS Summer School: Komplex Analysis Weeklong School. Centro de Giorgi, Pisa (Italy), March 23-28, 2015.
This will be the sixth edition of KAWA, a School & Workshop in Complex Analysis and Applications to Complex Dynamics and Geometry. The School (March 23-26) will comprise three courses: Dynamical moduli spaces and degenerations, by Laura DeMarco (Northwestern University, USA); Fekete points, an overview, by Joaquim Ortega-Cerdà (Universitat de Barcelona, Spain); The Kähler-Ricci flow, by Valentino Tosatti (Northwestern University, USA). The School will be followed by a Workshop (March 26-28).
Further information: http://www.ub.edu/kawa6/
- EWM-EMS-IML summer school: Call for proposals
The European Women in Mathematics Association and the EMS Women in Mathematics Committee invite proposals for a one week summer school at the Institut Mittag Leffler in Stockholm (Sweden) in Summer 2016.
Submission deadline 1 April 2015.
Further information: http://www.europeanwomeninmaths.org/resources/news/2016-ewm-ems-summer-school-institut-mittag-leffler-call-proposals
NEWS FROM EMS COMMITTEES
Women in Mathematics Committee
- Following the successful majority female EMS-EWM summer school at the Insitut Mittag Leffler in 2014, a similar school will be held in 2016. (See previous item.) The oversight group is chaired by Ulrike Tillmann.
- Two members of our committee (Marie-Francoise Roy and Caroline Series) are taking the lead in drawing up a proposal for the formation of a new International Committee for Women in Mathematics, which will be taken to the IMU Executive for consideration in March.
Our committee plans to have a face-to-face meeting during the EWM (European Women in Mathematics) conference in Cortona, Italy, August
30-September 5th 2015.
NEWS FROM EMS MEMBERS SOCIETIES
EMS meeting of the Presidents in Innsbruck, March 28-29, 2015
Austrian Mathematical Society and the János Bolyai Mathematical Society joint conference
The first Joint Austrian-Hungarian Mathematical Conference will be held at Széchenyi István University in Györ (Hungary), August 27-29, 2015. It will include four strands on Discrete Mathematics, Number Theory, Probability Theory and Dynamical Systems, and Applied Mathematics. An additional strand will comprise contributed talks from other fields. Three minisymposia will also be held, on "Discrete and Convex Geometry", "Financial Mathematics", and "Proof in Mathematics Education at University and at School".
Further information: http://bolyai.hu/aushun15/index.html
Cyprus Mathematical Society
EUROMATH 2015, 25-30 March 2015, Athens (Greece)
The Cyprus Mathematical Society and the Thales Foundation, in cooperation with the Le-MATH Project Focus Group, the Hellenic Mathematical Society and the Mathematical Society of the South Eastern Europe with the support of the European Mathematical Society are organizing the European Student Conference in Mathematics: EUROMATH 2015 (www.euromath.org).
It will host four competitions for pupils aged 9-18:
1. MATHFactor Europe 2015 (http://www.le-math.eu/),
2. MATHeatre Europe 2015 (http://www.le-math.eu/),
3. MATHPoster Design Competition 2015,
4. MATHPresentation Competition 2015.
Edinburgh Mathematical Society - Societat Catalana de Matematiques
The Catalan and the Edinburgh Mathematical Societies invite participants to their first joint meeting, 28-30 May 2015, at Institut d'Estudis Catalans, Barcelona.
Further information: http://emsscm2015.espais.iec.cat/
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Hellenic Mathematical Society
MASSEE International Congress on Mathematics(MICOM), 22-26 September 2015, Athens
The Mathematical Society of South-Eastern Europe (MASSEE) and the Hellenic Mathematical Society, in cooperation with The Department of Mathematics of the University of Athens, the School of Applied Mathematics and Physical Sciences of the National Technical University of Athens and the Aristotle Universityof Thessaloniki, will host the fifth MASSEE International Congress on Mathematics (MICOM).
Expressions of interest should be received by 15 April 2015, and abstracts submitted by 15 May 2015.
Further information: www.hms.gr
Irish Mathematical Society
- The Society’s annual meeting will take place in University College Cork (UCC), August 27th-28th, 2015. The meeting will be held in conjunction with a UCC conference for the bicentenary of George Boole.
Further information: http://georgeboole.com/events/conferences/george-boole-mathematical-sciences-conference.html
- The archives of the IMS bulletin (produced since 1978) have now been digitised and are freely available online: http://www.maths.tcd.ie/pub/ims
Italian Mathematical Union (UMI)
- Book Prize. The Unione Matematica Italiana (UMI) has established a new prize, sponsored by Springer-Verlag, of (gross) € 4000, to honour an excellent, original monograph in any field of mathematics. Applications and nominations should be sent to UMI, Piazza di Porta San Donato 5,I-40126 Bologna, to arrive by April 30, 2015.
Further information: http://umi.dm.unibo.it/book-prize-unione-matematica-italiana/
- Fifth edition of the Gold Medal «Guido Stampacchia» Prize
The Stampacchia Gold Medal is an international award to mathematicians aged 35 or under, for research in Calculus of Variations and Applications. The deadline for nominations is March 31st, 2015.
Further information: http://umi.dm.unibo.it/fifth-edition-gold-medal-guido-stampacchia-prize/
Royal Spanish Mathematical Society (RSME)
- Mathematics Research Award 'Vicent Caselles'. The Real Sociedad Matemática Española, together with the BBVA Foundation, have opened the call for the first Mathematics Research Award 'Vicent Caselles'. Six awards of 2,000 Euros (gross) will be made to young researchers in mathematics.
Further information: http://www.fbbva.es/TLFU/tlfu/ing/noticias/fichanoticia/index.jsp?codigo=1383
- 2015 Santaló Summer School:
The 2015 Lluis Santaló Summer School on "Number Theory and Arithmetic Geometry" will take place in Santander (Spain), July 13-17th, 2015. It will consist of 4 courses by Pilar Bayer (U. de Barcelona), Loïc Merel (U. Paris 7), Philippe Michel (EPF Lausanne) and Lenny Taelman (U Amsterdam).
Further information: http://www.imus.us.es/SANTALO15/
Spanish Society of Applied Mathematics (SeMA)
CEDYA/CMA 2015 The 24th Congress on Differential Equations and Applications/14th Applied Mathematics Congress will be hosted at the University of Cadiz (Spain), on June 8-12, 2015.
CEDYA promotes research in Differential Equations, Numerical Analysis, Mechanics, Control and Optimization. We invite scientists, engineers, mathematicians, and students (graduate and predoctorate) in all areas of applied mathematics to participate. There will be limited funding covering the registration fee.
More information: http://cedya2015-en.uca.es
Turkish Mathematical Society (TMD)
MAD in Turkey
The Turkish Mathematical Society has launched MAD (Matematik Arastirma Dostu - Friends of Mathematical Research), supported by sponsors from the private sector. The aim is to fund research networks (conferences, thematic seminars, research centers) which cannot obtain support from traditional funding agencies such as TUBITAK (The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey) where the rules are increasingly
More information: http://www.tmd.org.tr/?lang=en
- The first 25 years of the EMS, through your eyes. The EMS will celebrate its 25th anniversary in October 2015. The Newsletter wants to retrace these years with your help, by putting together a collection of pictures online. If you have photos of any EMS related event to share, please upload them at http://divizio.perso.math.cnrs.fr/EMSnewsletter/ or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please tell where, when, and by whom the picture was taken, and confirm that you have the rights to it.)
- March Issue
The next issue of the Newsletter will be online from the beginning of March. Inside you will find:
-- an editorial by Pavel Exner, the new EMS president, and an introduction to the new officers, elected at the last council meeting
-- an article by Michael Atiyah on the pre-history of EMS, opening a series of articles celebrating our society's 25th anniversary
-- "Cannons and sparrows" by Günther Ziegler
-- "Grothendieck and Algebraic Geometry" by Luc Illusie and Michel Raynaud.
-- ...many other things!
EMS PUBLISHING HOUSE
Most recent Books
Handbook of Hilbert Geometry, edited by Athanase Papadopoulos and Marc Troyanov
Hybrid Function Spaces, Heat and Navier-Stokes Equations, by Hans Triebel
More information http://www.ems-ph.org/
- NSF seizes funding IMA and MBI
For questions, comments or suggestions about the e-News, please contact Professor Mireille Chaleyat-Maurel, Université Paris Descartes, Editor of the EMS E-News.