- ERC advanced grants to 294 senior top researchers in Europe With a budget of just over €660 million, the European Research Council (ERC) is funding 294 top researchers in the fourth competition for its coveted Advanced Grants. This Advanced Grant call attracted 2284 proposals, which is a 13% rise from the last call.
The EMS congratulates all awardees, and in particular the 17 researchers with projects in the mathematical sciences.
More information: http://www.euro-math-soc.eu/node/2496
- 6ECM, 6th European Congress of Mathematics, Krakow, July 2 - 7, 2012 The EMS invites you to attend to the Congress!
Discount fee for EMS members 900 PLN (~200€)
Not yet registered?
See the Scientific Programme at
- EMS Lecturer 2012:
Prof. Kristian Seip, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway "Selected problems in operator-related function theory and harmonic analysis"
CRM, Bellaterra, Spain, 20-24 February 2012 www.crm.es Tel Aviv University, Israel, 4-8 November 2012 www.math.tau.ac.il Chebyshev Laboratory, Saint Petersburg University, Russia, 3-7 December
See the attached poster.
- EMS-IAMP Summer School in Quantum Chaos, Erwin Schrödinger Institut, Vienna.
July 30 -August 3, 2012
- International Congress on Mathematical Physics, Aalborg, Denmark, 6-11 August 2012.
The EMS asks its members and its friends for donations. Donations can be given to
- support the initiatives and programs of the society itself (e.g.
training activities, grants for young people to participate in scientific activities, etc.)
- support the work of the EMS Committee for Developing Countries The EMS is pleased to show its gratitude to its donors by publishing their names on the web page Thanks to EMS donors.
- Horizon 2020, The EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation Now is the crucial moment to influence the negotiations that are taking place at the political level. To strengthen the role of the European Research Council is a high priority, since this is one of the most successful instruments for science and in particular, for mathematics.
Actions at the national level are strongly encouraged, for example approaching your national officers responsible for science, research, innovation and also cooperation, and the members of the European Parliament.
News from EMS Member Societies
- Soc. Math. Appl. & Industr. (SMAI), France *The first French Job Forum for Mathematics was held on January 26, 2012 in Paris: employment opportunities for students, PhD students and young PhDs in mathematics.
The aim was to present job opportunities both in Academia and in companies and services to master students, engineering students, graduate students and young doctors in mathematics.
- In December 2011 the inauguration of AMIES took place in Grenoble.
AMIES is the French Agency for the interactions of Mathematics with the
Industry and the Society. AMIES is based on a network of regional correspondents who have two roles:
they promote links between the companies, laboratories and universities of their respective regions they monitor technological progress in their respective technical areas and help AMIES' stakeholders to understand and benefit from it. AMIES will organize modelling weeks and internships and will try to coordinate the activities in this field taking place in all French universities.
EMS PUBLISHING HOUSE
Most recent Books
- Geometric Numerical Integration and Schrödinger Equations Erwan Faou January 2012
- Decorated Teichmüller Theory
Robert C. Penner
- Frobenius Algebras I
Andrzej Skowroński, Kunio Yamagata
- The mathematical writings of Évariste Galois Peter M. Neumann October 2011
More information available on:
- Latest news for mathematicians and members of the European Mathematical Society http://www.euro-math-soc.eu/news.html
- Announcements on Conferences and Workshops http://www.euro-math-soc.eu/conferences.html
- Open Positions
- A web site for mathematics in Europe
- The EMS Council meeting will be held on June 30 – July 1, 2012, in Krakow, Poland. Follow the preparations on
- Mathematics of Planet Earth Competition for an open source exhibition of virtual modules.
This competition is part of the world initiative “Mathematics of Planet Earth 2013” (MPE2013).
The modules submitted to the competition will be part of the Mathematics of Planet Earth Open Source Exhibition of Virtual Modules.
They could be reproduced and utilized by many users around the world from science museums to schools under a creative commons license.
Examples of modules or themes to be covered are available on the website.
The competition will be open from January 2012 to September 15, 2012.
Ms. Terhi Hautala
Phone: (+358) 9 1915 1503
Fax: (+358) 9 1915 1400
Department of Mathematics & Statistics
P.O.Box 68 (Gustaf Hällströmink. 2b)
00014 University of Helsinki