- EMS Monograph Award
This is awarded every two years to the author(s) of a monograph in any area of mathematics that is judged by the selection committee to be an outstanding contribution to its field. The prize is 10,000 euros, and the winning monograph is published by the EMS Publishing House in the series EMS Tracts in Mathematics.
- European Latsis Prize 2012
The European Science Foundation (ESF) invites nominations for the European Latsis Prize 2012.
The prize, of 100,000 Swiss Francs, is awarded each year by the Latsis Foundation through the ESF to a scientist or research group in recognition of outstanding and innovative contributions in a selected field of research. The research field for the 2012 Prize is "Mathematics"
- 6ECM, 6th European Congress of Mathematics, Krakow (Poland), 2 - 7, July 2012
Not yet registered?
See the Scientific Programme at
List of Panel Discussions
* Financing of mathematical research
Moderator: Pavel Exner
* The role of mathematics in the emerging economies
Moderators: Andreas Griewank, Tsou Sheung Tsun
* Redressing the gender imbalance in mathematics: strategies and outcomes (Joint EMS/EWM Panel Discussion). Moderator: Caroline Series
* What is expected from European learned societies?
Moderator: Marta Sanz-Solé
Follow the preparations at http://www.6ecm.pl/
- Initiative for Science in Europe Conference:
Strengthening the European Research Area: what does science need to flourish?
The Initiative for Science in Europe invites stakeholders from the European Parliament, the European Commission and member states to review and discuss with representatives from science and learned societies about the most pressing issues for science.
- Call for proposals of EMS Distinguished speakers and EMS weekends
The EMS asks its members and its friends for donations. Donations can be given to
- support the initiatives and programs of the society itself (e.g.
training activities, grants for young people to participate in scientific activities, etc.)
- support the work of the EMS Committee for Developing Countries The EMS is pleased to show its gratitude to its donors by publishing their names on the web page Thanks to EMS donors.
- Springer and the European Mathematical Society launch the Encyclopedia of Mathematics open access wiki http://www.encyclopediaofmath.org/index.php/Main_Page
News from EMS
- EMS Newsletter
Lucia Di Vizio (Université de Versailles-St Quentin, France) has been appointed Editor-in-Chief for the period 2013-2016.
- The 5th meeting of Presidents of member societies was held in Prague in the weekend March 31-April 1 : http://mp2012.zcu.cz/
News from EMS Committees
- CDC (Committee for Developing Countries)
* Annual meeting
This took place in Limoges on April 14. The meeting was preceded by a talk on the Swedish programme ISP by member Leif Abrahamsson and a round table on "Which mathematics for developing countries?".
Zentralblatt gives welcome donations. For the first time there were online donations through EMS.
More on: http://ems-cdc.org
- ERCOM (European Research Centres on Mathematics) The annual ERCOM meeting took place in Budapest on March 2012.
It was attended by representatives of 18 research centres and EMS President Marta Sanz-Solé who discussed recent developments at the centres, changes in national and European research policies as well as new ERCOM membership applications.
Additional topics were the common European Post-Doctoral Institute for Mathematical Sciences (EPDI) which is formed by 10 ERCOM institutes, the Zentralblatt MATH as a publication of the EMS and initiatives to raise public awareness for mathematics, in particular the project Mathematics of Planet Earth 2013.
- Women in Mathematics
* EWM and EMS Joint Women in Mathematics Scientific Committee In 2008, the European Mathematical Society and EWM jointly set up a Scientific Committee of twelve distinguished women mathematicians whose main role is to advise on speakers for events organised by EWM, such as the last general EWM meeting in Barcelona.
* The new chair of the Committee is Isabelle Gallagher (Paris, France)
News from EMS Member Societies
- French Mathematical Society (SMF)
* Annual Conference "Math en Jeans",19-22 April, Copenhagen (Denmark) Around 350 people (295 of whom are pupils from 11 to 18 years old) are expected from 15 countries to share their work and meet with recognized mathematician researchers.
* Support the renovation of "Jean Morlet's house"
Jean Morlet (1931-2007) was a major actor in the discovery of wavelet theory. Aix-Marseille University, CNRS, the LabEx CARMIN, the city of Marseille and the SMF are creating a Professor Chair in honor of Jean Morlet.
The CIRM (Centre International de Rencontres Mathématiques) and the SMF will renovate a "Jean Morlet" house to make a home for these researchers. The Fondation Total through the Fondation du patrimoine also supports this project.
To complete the funding, SMF invites you to contribute to the success of this project by making a donation.
- Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research (SEIO)
* This year, SEIO is celebrating its 50th birthday. SEIO publishes two international journals indexed by Journal Citation Reports: TEST and TOP, and a tutorial journal, BEIO.
More information at http://www.seio.es
*Leandro Pardo was elected new president of the SEIO at the XXXIII National Conference of Statistics and Operational Research held in Madrid on February 17-20.
EMS PUBLISHING HOUSE
Most recent Books
- Faber Systems and Their Use in Sampling, Discrepancy, Numerical Integration Hans Triebel March 2012
- Lectures on Algebraic Categorification Volodymyr Mazorchuk March 2012
- Concentration Compactness for Critical Wave Maps Joachim Krieger, Wilhelm Schlag February 2012
- Strasbourg Master Class on Geometry
Athanase Papadopoulos, Editor
More information available on:
For questions, comments or suggestions, please contact Professor Mireille Chaleyat-Maurel, Université Paris Descartes, Editor of the EMS E-News
Previous EMS E-news: