Job Title Senior Research Scientist
Job Type Research Staff (Uncertainty Quantification, Verification & Validation)
Salary 120,000 - 140,000 USD, depending on experience, plus benefits
The Center for Uncertainty Quantification in Computational Science and Engineering at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) is seeking candidates for the position of Senior Research Scientist.
Job Description and responsibilities. The Senior Research Scientist will:
• Initiate and participate in research activities for the advancement of Uncertainty Quantification and Verification & Validation methods, algorithms and software, as well as the implementation of UQ and VV capabilities to enable high-impact applications in Computational Science and Engineering (in green wireless communications, complex multi-scale electro-magnetic systems, or reactive computational fluid dynamics);
• Coordinate multi-disciplinary research activities between diverse groups involving applied mathematicians, engineers, scientists, statisticians, and computer scientists;
• Assist the Center leadership in coordinating research activities, establishing research priorities, and identifying new research directions;
• Assist both internal and external stakeholders in the implementation and dissemination of methods, tools, and other research results;
• Coordinate exchanges with external collaborators, including visits to and from external organizations;
• Assist in the organization of technical meetings, symposia, and workshops;
• Coordinate technical reporting activities, including outreach and web presence;
• Assist in the coordination of courses and tutorials offered by members of the UQ Center.
• Participate to international conferences, worshops, or technical meetings.
Appointment Period. Two-year appointment, renewable for a third year upon successful evaluation.
Salary and Benefits. Salary is in the range 120,000-140,000 USD plus benefits, that include schooling for housing, dependent minors, medical, dental and life insurance for employees and their family. No income tax is paid in Saudi Arabia.
About KAUST. King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) is an international graduate-level research university located on the Red Sea near Thuwal, 80 kilometers (50 miles) north of Jeddah, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Dedicated to inspiring a new age of scientific achievement that will benefit the region and the world, KAUST has the mission of exemplifying the future of world-class research. More details are available at www.kaust.edu.sa.
About the KAUST UQ Center. The Center is funded under KAUST’s Strategic Research Initiative. The Center is led by Prof. Raul Tempone, from KAUST, as Director and by Prof. Omar Knio, from Duke University, as Deputy Director. The Center involves faculty members, external researchers, postdocs, PhD Students, and scientific visitors through a substantial program.
The missions of the UQ Center are to: (1) advance the state-of-the-art in Uncertainty Quantification (UQ), Validation and Verification (VV) methods, algorithms, and software; (2) enable high-impact applications, including (i) green wireless communications, (ii) complex multiscale electromagnetic systems, and (iii) reactive computational fluid dynamics; (3) mentor graduate students and post-docs in methodologies and applications; (4) establish and maintain synergistic collaborations with leading organizations world-wide; and (5) disseminate research results and pursue technology transfer both to the private and public sectors.
Strategic Research Intiative. Center for Uncertainty Quantification.
Division of Mathematical and Computer Sciences and Engineering
Qualifications and Experience
• Ph.D. Degree in Applied Mathematics, Physical Science, Computer Science, or Engineering, with at least three-year experience in UQ and/or VV related research;
• Demonstrated ability to interact with diverse, multi-disciplinary teams, and to initiate and supervise research efforts;
• Strong record of publications in leading journals;
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and seek solutions with minimal supervision.
Application and Inquires. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled. However, ideally, the candidates should consider joining the team as early as November 1, 2012, if possible. Send application as a single PDF file that includes (a) a detailed academic CV, (b) a research statement, (c) the contact information of three references, and (d) three scientific articles to Prof. Raúl Tempone (email@example.com). Questions about the project should be directed to Prof. Tempone.