The Department of Mathematics and Statistics of Université Laval invites applications for a faculty position in applied mathematics, in the field of Numerical analysis, and more precisely in Numerical continuum mechanics. The person hired will play a major leadership role in GIREF (Groupe interdisciplinaire de recherche en éléments finis). Preference will be given to an experienced researcher and hiring will normally be at the rank of associate professor. However, exceptional applications from young researchers will also be considered for hiring at the rank of assistant professor. The appointment would normally start on June 1, 2014.
About Université Laval
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics (DMS) is in the Faculty of Science and Engineering of Université Laval, one of the leading research universities in Canada. The DMS provides an excellent environment for research and teaching. It offers courses (taught in French) to students in our specialized programs in Mathematics and Statistics (Bachelor, Masters and PhD), as well as courses to students in engineering, education, etc.
Université Laval is located in Quebec City, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the capital of the province of Quebec. With over 40,000 students, the university is a stimulating working environment, at the heart of a metropolitan area of 750,000 inhabitants.
The successful candidate will
• engage in a productive research program,
• apply for funding from the major granting bodies,
• support the current GIREF Industrial Research activities and develop new areas of research,
• teach undergraduate and graduate mathematics courses in French (including large-lecture service courses),
• contribute to the management and promotion of department programs,
• recruit and supervise graduate students,
• and more generally contribute to the development and day-to-day functioning of the department.
• have obtained a PhD in mathematics or an equivalent degree
• demonstrate the capacity to obtain adequate funding from the major granting bodies or the industry
• be able to support and diversify the research activities of GIREF
• demonstrate excellent pedagogical abilities for teaching large-lecture service courses for engineering students, as well as specialized courses for mathematics students at all levels
• be able to communicate in French or be able to do so within a year.
Applications must include a CV, three letters of reference, an outline of research plans for the next three years (3 pages maximum), a statement of teaching philosophy (2 pages maximum), and up to two recent articles (preprints or off-prints). The candidate should clearly indicate his/her level of French proficiency or his/her willingness to become proficient within one year. The preferred application format is through Mathjobs (https://www.mathjobs.org/jobs/jobs/4749), though applications may also be submitted by e-mail (in pdf) to PosteMath@mat.ulaval.ca or by regular mail to
Frédéric Gourdeau, directeur
Département de mathématiques et de statistique
1045, av. de la Médecine
Canada G1V 0A6
Applications must be received by October 31, 2013.
For more information, please contact the department chair, Frederic.Gourdeau@mat.ulaval.ca.
As an employer committed to a diverse workplace, Université Laval encourages all qualified individuals to apply – particularly women, visible and ethnic minorities, aboriginal persons, and persons with disabilities – but priority will be given to Canadians and Canadian permanent residents. Salary is determined by the collective agreement.