Year of Mathematical Biology 2018
The year of Mathematical Biology 2018 is a joint venture of the European Mathematical Society (EMS) and the European Society for Mathematical and Theoretical Biology (ESMTB). The main objectives are to celebrate the huge increase and importance of applications of mathematics to biology and life sciences in the last years and to foster the feedback loop between life sciences and mathematics for years to come. Applications of mathematics in Biology are completely opening new pathways of interactions and they are a huge source of new mathematical problems.
The Abstract Submission for Contributed Talks and Posters closes on 20 February 2018. The template for abstract preparation is available here.
The ECMTB 2018 Organizing Committee is setting up a Mentorship Program to facilitate research and career interactions between junior and senior scientists attending the meeting. Participants of ECMTB 2018 can sign up to be part of the mentorship program, either as a mentee, a mentor, or both. If you wish to participate in the Mentorship Program at ECMTB 2018, please fill in the REGISTRATION FORM not later than May 10th, 2018. You can find more information about the ECMTB 2018 Mentorship Program here.
- Simons Semester on Mathematical Biology, December 2017-March 2018, Banach Center, Warsaw, Poland.
- Intensive Research Program in Mathematical Biology, April-June 2018, Centre de Recerca Matemàtica, Barcelona, Spain.
- Thematic Program in Mathematical Biology, September-December 2018, Institut Mittag-Leffler, Sweden.
EMS-ESMTB main events:
- EMS-Finnish Mathematical Society-ESMTB joint Mathematical Weekend, A kick-off event for the Year of Mathematical Biology, 4-5 January 2018, Joensuu, Finland.
- 11th European Conference on Mathematical and Theoretical Biology (ECMTB 2018), a joint conference of the European Society for Mathematical and Theoretical Biology and the European Mathematical Society, 23-27 July 2018, Lisbon, Portugal.
Conferences and Workshops:
- Understanding Cancer Through Evolutionary Game Theory, January 29th - February 2nd, 2018, Lorentz Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands.
- Statistics applied to biology and health sciences, Journée de rencontres scientifiques autour de la statistique pour la biologie et la médecine, 1 févr. 2018 Technopôle du FUTUROSCOPE, Poitiers, France.
- Dynamical Systems Applied to Biology and Natural Sciences (DSABNS2018), February 7-9, 2018, Torino, Italy.
- UK Conference on Multiscale Biology, April 16-18, University of Nottingham, UK.
- Stochastic Models in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, April 5-7, 2018, Venice, Italy.
- Collective dynamics and self-organization in biological sciences, Apr 30, 2018 - May 04, 2018, ICMS, Edinburgh, UK.
- Models in Population Dynamics, Ecology, and Evolution (MPDEE’18), April 9-13, 2018, University of Leicester, UK.
- Mathematical Modelling in Biology, Modelling Seminar, Summer term, Wuppertal, Germany.
- Mathematical Biology Modelling Days of Besançon, 19-22 June 2018, Besançon, France.
- International Conference on Mathematical Methods and Models (BIOMATH 2018), 24-29 June, Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Mathematical perspectives in the biology and therapeutics of cancer, 9-13 July 2018, CIRM, France.
- CEMRACS 2018, Numerical and mathematical modeling for biological and medical applications: deterministic, probabilistic and statistical descriptions, 16 July - 24 August 2018, CIRM, Marseille, France.
- The Helsinki Summer School on Mathematical Ecology and Evolution, August 2018, Helsinki, Finland.
- Erice MathCompEpi 2 - Mathematical and Computational Epidemiology of Infectious diseases, 28 August - 5 September 2018, International Centre “Ettore Majorana”, Erice, Sicily (Italy)
- GreifOlution: 1st Greifswald Summer School on Mathematics of Evolution, 16-22 September, 2018, Greifswald, Germany.
- Differential Equations arising from Organising Principles in Biology, 23-29 September 2018, Mathematisches Forschungsinstitut Oberwolfach, Germany.
- Workshop on Mathematical Biology, 8-12 October, Institut Mittag-Leffler, Sweden.
- Workshop on Mathematical Challenges in the Analysis of Continuum Models for Cancer Growth, Evolution and Therapy, 25-30 November, BIRS-CMS, Oaxaca, Mexico.
An organization committee for the Year of Mathematical Biology, joint EMS-ESMTB event, has been set up through the Applied Mathematics Committee of the EMS:
- Jose A. Carrillo, Imperial College London, UK. (Chair)
- Mathisca de Gunst, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Mats Gyllenberg, University of Helsinki, Finland.
- Torbjorn Lundh, Chalmers University, Sweden.
- Anna Marciniak-Czochra, Heidelberg Universitat, Germany.
- Roeland Merks, CWI, The Netherlands.
- Marek Niezgodka, ICM, Poland.
- Gael Raoul, École Polytechnique, France.
If you have any suggestions or ideas that you want to share with us, activities to be done, activities to be included or any queries, please contact any member of the committee.