4 years PhD positions at GSSI
7 PhD positions in Mathematics in Natural, Social and Life Sciences:
1 PhD position in Mathematics in Natural, Social and Life Sciences - Center for Urban Informatics and Modeling (CUIM) project “Mathematical modeling and numerical simulations of seismic wave propagation”:
More details at http://www.gssi.infn.it/phd/
(separate applications for each competition)
The PhD degree in Mathematics will guide graduate students to deal not only with the more traditional aspects of this discipline, such as Pure Mathematics, Partial Differential Equations and Mathematical Physics, but also with entirely new challenges, which require the development of the most appropriate tools to deal with the complexity, such as Stochastic Analysis and Computational Mathematics.
Activities and Duration
The PhD programs last four years.
The Academic Year will start on November 1st 2018.
GSSI awards scholarships until the thesis dissertation and for a maximum of four years.
The yearly amount of the scholarship is of € 16.159,91 gross. An additional 50% on monthly basis may be awarded for research period aboard if approved by the GSSI.
Official language of the PhD Programs: English.
Facilities and benefits
• all PhD students will have free accommodation at the GSSI guest house and, starting from the second year, another accommodation or a financial substitute of 350,00 Euros gross/month (to obtain the contribution, the students would have to present a rental agreement in L’Aquila);
• all PhD students will have free luncheon vouchers (1 per day, working days, except school closures, missions, other situations contemplated by the GSSI rules);
• all PhD students will have tuition fees waived;
• all PhD students will be covered by insurance against any accident and/or injury that may occur while carrying out their PhD activities.
English knowledge is compulsory. Applications are opened to candidates in possession of one of the following degrees:
- “Laurea Magistrale” or “Laurea Specialistica” or a four or five years degree.
- a foreign University degree (minimum legal duration of the University course: four years). The eligibility of foreign degrees is assessed by the Selection Committee.
Applicants obtaining their degree by no later than October 31, 2018 may apply (both Italian or foreign degree according to the previous
description). Applicants will have to send a copy of their degree certificate at email@example.com within November 20, 2018 (for Italian degrees a “self declaration” can also be accepted).
Applicants must fill out the online application form (www.gssi.it/phd/) and attach the required documents by June 20, 2018, 6 pm (Italian time zone). No other application method will be accepted.
Data and documents entered into the application form are the sole responsibility of the applicant. In the events of false declarations, the applicant will be excluded from the selection procedure.
In order to successfully submit the application form, applicants must insert all the data/information and upload the attachments as listed below. We strongly recommend applicants to review the inserted information and uploaded attachments before submitting the application. No changes are allowed to submitted data. Erroneous data and/or attachments will be evaluated as they are submitted.
Please note that applicants are responsible for ensuring that their completed application arrives on time. We strongly suggest that applicants submit their application well in advance of the deadline in order to avoid last-minute congestion in the online application procedure.
It is possible to apply to more than one curriculum.
Candidates should upload the following documents in pdf format:
- curriculum vitae et studiorum;
- a final degree certificate (for EU citizens or NON EU citizens residing in Italy: a copy of the certificate or a self-declaration declaring thepossession of a degree indicating: conferral date, issuing University and final grade; for other applicants: certificate declaring the possession of a degree indicating: conferral date, issuing University and final grade).
For applicants who expect to complete their degree by October 31 2018: certificate or self-declaration (only for EU citizens and NON EU citizens residing in Italy) indicating the single examinations taken and grades obtained. If the official document released by the university is not available in Italian or English, candidates should also attach a translation of the document under their responsibility. - a valid id document, signed and dated;
- academic transcript or diploma supplement (the academic transcript is an official document released by the university detailing the courses/classes taken or subjects studies and related grades).
Applicants can provide the names and contact information of up to two referees. The information provided by the applicants in the online form will be used to send the referees an email with a link to a page where they can upload the reference letter: referees should submit reference letters in English or Italian through the online application system within June 27 2018. No reference letter uploaded by the candidates will be admitted.
Candidates in Mathematics should upload additional documents or give additional information:
- a synthetic report of the core courses followed on the following topics:
1- Partial Differential Equations
2- Probability/stochastic processes
3- Functional Analysis
4- Numerical Analysis
5- Physics/continuum mechanics/fluid dynamics
For each course in this area, students should provide a short syllabus (no more than 10 lines) main textbooks, name of the instructors and possibly the link to the course home page.