DATA MANAGER & RESEARCH ASSISTANT
STATEC Research a.s.b.l. seeks a full-time research assistant and data manager to join the research division of STATEC (the National Statistical Office of Luxembourg). The candidate will liaise with the data producing divisions of the Institute; acquire and prepare data from other data producing units of STATEC, as well as international institutions such as Eurostat or the OECD; help preparing findings for publications and reports. She/he will contribute to research projects in the fields of productivity, innovation, entrepreneurship and quality of life studies. This position requires good quantitative and programming skills.
This is a full-time position. The initial appointment is on a 2-years fixed-term basis, with the possibility of extension. We offer an attractive salary. An annual allowance for financing travel and training costs is also available. A junior or senior position will be attributed depending on the candidate’s experience.
Main tasks/responsibilities involved by the post are as follows:
- Prepare, maintain and update quantitative economic and statistical databases.
- Process and transform data sets within and between databases using statistical and/or econometric techniques; design systems to facilitate interfaces or to transfer data from external databases.
- Check research output’s compliance to statistical disclosure rules.
- Research, collect and compile information.
- Perform descriptive analysis and evaluate economic and statistical relationships in databases.
- Provide assistance with the preparation of project-related reports, manuscripts, and presentations.
Candidates are expected to have a Master degree in economics, statistics, or computer science. An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
The following skills are required:
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English. French and/or German is an asset.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and of LaTeX.
- Proficiency in programming languages used for statistics and econometrics, strong knowledge of R and STATA. SAS and other languages is an asset.
- Knowledge of software for data management (SQL) is an asset.
- Some knowledge of the legislative framework for data analysis (such as the new EU Data protection Regulation) and knowledge of statistical disclosure rules is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team player.
The successful candidate will join the research division at STATEC and report to the Head of Division. The research division at STATEC is an international group of researchers, active in the fields of productivity, innovation, entrepreneurship and quality of life. Research is aimed at international scientific networks as well as to inform policy making. The successful candidate will have to maintain previous work done by her/his predecessor, which involves maintaining R and STATA code, as well as documentation of procedures and data sets.
To apply, a cover letter, full CV indicating at least one referee, and a transcript should be sent by email to email@example.com. Applications should clearly state the Reference Number ASBL/2018-02. (Please state this in the object of your e-mail). The call will remain open until the position is filled.
Your personal data, included in your application documents or obtained during the interview, will be processed exclusively for the purposes of the selection process for the advertised position and in accordance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).