Doctoral student Algebra (Quadratic Form Theory)
The Faculty of Sciences is seeking to fill a full-time vacancy in the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science for a
Doctoral student in the area of Algebra
You do supervised original research in the area of quadratic form theory in the research group of Prof. Karim Johannes Becher. Possible research topics are the following:
- local-global principles for quadratic forms and related objects;
- reduction theory and valuations on function fields over discretely valued fields;
- the Kaplansky radical of a function field;
- representation of elements in Milnor K-theory and essential dimension.
- You prepare a doctoral thesis on your research topic as well as research publications;
- You contribute to teaching in mathematics by giving or supporting exercise sessions.
Profile and requirements
- You hold (or are about to obtain) a Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Mathematics;
- You have a very good and broad knowledge in algebra and algebraic geometry;
- You like solving hard problems and show strong abilities in this;
- You are discerning, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- A doctoral scholarship for a period of two years, with the possibility of renewal for a further two-year period after positive evaluation;
- The start date of scholarship will be 1st October, 2015 or earlier;
- A gross monthly grant ranging from € 2.167,88 - € 2.312,49;
- A dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date 1th June, 2015; they should include a letter of motivation addressing the research profile;
- More information about the application form can be obtained from Ben Daems (Tel. +32 (0)3 265 31 51);
- Questions about the profile and the description of duties are welcome; please contact Prof. Karim Johannes Becher (Tel. +32 (0)3 265 33 77, KarimJohannes.Becher@uantwerpen.be).
Submitted by Karim Johannes Becher | 27 / Apr / 2015
University of Antwerp, Mathematics and Computer Science