Open Rank positions at the Department of Mathematics
Nazarbayev University was launched in 2010 as a premier national and regional university, partnering with some of the most recognized names in international higher education. Admission to NU is highly competitive; the student body is selected from the top high schools throughout the country and region.
The NU campus is located in Nur-Sultan, the capital of Kazakhstan, in the heart of the new and ultra-modern Left-Bank region of the city. Incoming faculty will enjoy a cosmopolitan living experience, interwoven with traditional cultural influences in food and entertainment. The social life offers a rich and vibrant atmosphere with excellent clubs and restaurants, theater, music, opera, dancing, museums, modern and traditional bazaar shopping, professional and amateur sports, outdoor recreation, and much more.
The Department of Mathematics in the School of Sciences and Humanities at Nazarbayev University invites applications for several positions in pure and applied mathematics at the rank of Instructor, Postdoctoral Scholar, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Full Professor. The area of specialization is open. Appointments are for three years with the possibility of renewal.
- Teaching both lower- and upper-level undergraduate courses and graduate courses in mathematics;
- Supervising undergraduate and graduate student research projects;
- Student advising;
- Curriculum development;
- Administrative and service work at the departmental, school, and university level.
- For Instructor positions: Masters' degree in Pure or Applied Mathematics, or Statistics.
- For Postdoctoral scholars: a Ph.D. in Pure or Applied Mathematics, or Statistics, or a related area.
- For Assistant Professor and higher:
- Ph.D. in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics or a related area;
- Teaching experience at the university level;
- An active research agenda with recent publications in peer-reviewed journals;
- Rank-appropriate publication, teaching, and service record;
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills;
- An appreciation for flexibility in a developing context;
- An interest in continuing professional development.
In addition, candidate for Associate Professor and Professor role must have experience in grant-writing and in supervision of student projects at the undergraduate or graduate level.
Nazarbayev University offers an attractive benefits package, including:
A highly competitive salary, benefits package with free housing (based on rank and family size), relocation allowance, home leave travel (twice per year), health care coverage, educational allowance for dependent children, and research start-up funds are available.
- competitive compensation;
- free housing (based on rank and family size);
- relocation allowance;
- international health insurance for the faculty and dependents living in Nur-Sultan;
- educational allowance for dependent children relocated to Nur-Sultan;
- home leave allowance (air tickets to the home country, twice per year);
Applicants should attach a detailed CV, contact information of three professional referees, teaching and research statements, and a list of publications. The academic rank will be determined according to the successful candidate's teaching and work experience and the relevant research productivity. A review of applications will begin immediately but full consideration will be given to applications submitted no later than November 30, 2019. Successful appointments are expected to begin in August 2020. For more information please visit http://ssh.nu.edu.kz.
Questions related to the position, the university, or living and working in Nur-Sultan should be directed to Daniel Oliveira da Silva at firstname.lastname@example.org.