PhD position in Structural and Algorithmic Aspects of Preference-based Problems in Social Choice, Vienna, Austria
We invite applications for a PhD position(s) (3 years with the possibility of extension), working with the Assistant Professor Jiehua Chen at the Vienna University of Technology (Technische Universität Wien – TU Wien), Vienna, Austria.
The PhD position is available for the WWTF research project (Vienna Science and Technology Fund) titled Structural and Algorithmic Aspects of Preference-based Problems in Social Choice.
The research topics include voting, structured preferences, stable matching (matchings under preferences) with a focus on parameterized and approximation algorithm design.
The details of the research project are available here: https://www.wwtf.at/programmes/vienna_research_groups/VRG18-012/index.php?lang=EN
Applicants with a solid background in areas such as algorithm design (including BUT NOT LIMITED to parameterized algorithms and approximation algorithms), computational complexity, and/or discrete mathematics are welcome to apply.
- The PhD position(s) entails an employment contract.
- The position is available immediately and the starting date is quite flexible.
- A research and study environment that is friendly and gender-balanced
- TU Wien is a great place for professional growth (e.g., the Austrian Science Fund offers multiple funding opportunities for young researchers to advance their independent scientific careers).
- Vienna is a beautiful city that offers excellent quality of life
Please send your application, including
- your academic CV,
- a motivation letter, including an explanation of your research interests,
- your Master’s thesis and
- a list of subjects studied, giving sufficient details and grades/marks obtained
directly to Jiehua Chen before July 31, 2020: email@example.com
(If possible all in a single PDF file)
For informal inquiries you can also contact via the above email address.