Funded PhD positions are available at the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics at Charles University in Prague within the framework of the Primus Research Program "Scalable and Accurate Numerical Linear Algebra for Next-Generation Hardware", led by Erin Carson. Applications are invited from candidates who have strong background in numerical linear algebra, numerical analysis, or parallel computing. The start date is Fall 2019, by which time the applicants must hold a Master's degree. Successful candidates must formally enroll in the PhD program at Charles University.
Potential PhD topics include, but are not limited to:
- Numerical analysis of high-performance iterative solver methods
- Use of mixed precision hardware within numerical linear algebra routines
- Numerical linear algebra applied to data analysis and machine learning applications
- Stability and convergence analysis of asynchronous methods
- Synchronization-reducing nonlinear optimization methods
- Application of new algorithms within a particular computational or data science discipline
Further details about the project can be found at the project website: https://www.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~carson/primus.html.
Application deadline: March 22, 2019
To apply, candidates should submit the following documents to email@example.com:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter explaining motivation and interest to obtain the position of PhD student
- Brief summary of Master's thesis (including pdf file of Master's thesis if available)
In addition, the candidate should arrange for two letters of recommendation to be sent directly to the same e-mail address before March 22, 2019.
Questions regarding the application can be directed to:
Erin C. Carson,
Department of Numerical Mathematics, Faculty of Mathematics & Physics,
Charles University, Sokolovska 83, 18675 Prague
PI website: https://www.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~carson
Charles University: https://www.cuni.cz/UKEN-1.html
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics: https://www.mff.cuni.cz/en