PhD positions in Population Genetics
Over the past years, Vienna has developed into one of the leading centres of population genetics. The Vienna Graduate School of Population Genetics has been founded to provide a training opportunity for PhD students to build on this excellent on-site expertise.
We invite applications from highly motivated and outstanding students with a love for evolutionary research and a background in one of the following disciplines: evolutionary genetics, functional genetics, theoretical or experimental population genetics, bioinformatics, mathematics, statistics.
- Mathematical models for the adaptation of complex ecological traits.
- The evolution of recombination under balancing selection in heterogeneous environments.
- Historical demography in horses.
- Sequence diversity in mammalian Y chromosomes.
- Dissecting the genetic basis of co-selected traits during thermal adaptation in Drosophila simulans.
- Complex trait dissection in conifers.
- Genome-wide molecular dating.
- Efficient detection of variants of polygenic adaptation in Drosophila experimental evolution.
Only complete applications (application form, CV, motivation letter, university certificates, indication of the two preferred topics in a single pdf) received by September 29, 2019 will be considered. Two letters of recommendation need to be sent directly by the referees.
Depending on the project, PhD degrees will be awarded either in genetics, mathematics or statistics. PhD students will receive a monthly salary based on currently EUR 2.162,40 before tax according to the regulations of the Austrian Science Fund (FWF).
All information about the about available topics, the training program and the application procedure can be found at www.popgen-vienna.at