Post-doctoral assistant 3y + 3y (renewable)
Post-doctoral asistant position at the Deparment of Mathematics: Algebra and Geometry, Ghent University, Belgium.
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
- At least 70% of your assignment will be spent on academic research, related to the research activities of one of the research groups of the department (http://cage.ugent.be/we01/groups.en.html).
- You will assist in teaching activities at the Bachelor’s and Master’s level.
- You will counsel Bachelor’s and Master’s students in their exercises, work placement, Bachelor’s project and Master’s dissertation.
- You will counsel doctoral students.
- You will assist in external services of the department, for instance related to the popularization of mathematics.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a doctoral degree in Mathematics or a subject considered relevant by the selection committee. For diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You have already conducted research within the field of algebra and/or (incidence) geometry and your research has connections with one or more of the existing research lines in the department.
- You have distinguished yourself as a promising researcher during your doctorate and/or previous postdoctoral positions.
- You are profoundly interested in coaching students in the Bachelor’s, Master’s and/or Advanced Master’s programmes.
- You can present relevant scientific publications in international peer-reviewed academic journals that are widely disseminated.
- You are, preferably, highly proficient in written and spoken Dutch.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a three-year appointment, which may be renewed once for three years at the most, on condition that the previous term was given a positive evaluation. The term of renewal begins immediately after the first term has expired. Attention: If you have been previously appointed as a post-doctoral assistant at a university within the Flemish Community, you cannot apply for this position.
- Your appointment will start on 1 October 2020 at the earliest and will end on September 30, 2023 at the latest.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP5. More information about our salary scales.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 35 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits (in Dutch).
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see below). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
[Warning: the EMS website seems to change all ampersands (&) in the link into "&amp;", thereby redirecting you to the wrong page. You can circumvent this by copy-pasting the link rather than clicking on it.]
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: your cv and an overview of your relevant scientific publications (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. (This can be requested via www.naricvlaanderen.be/en).
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Tom De Medts (Tom.DeMedts@UGent.be, +32 (0)9 264 48 87).