- The first announcement of the EMS Council 2014 in Donostia/San Sebastián, June 28-29, has been released.
The call for nominations of delegates is available at:
- More Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions under Horizon 2020 will be published in March and April. The calls will be for Individual Fellowships (IF), Research and Innovation Staff Exchange (RISE), Co-funding of regional, national and international programmes (COFUND).
- Gerd Faltings (Germany) is the winner of the 2014 King Faisal International Prize for Science in the topic Mathematics.
- Peter Sarnak (USA) is the winner of the 2014 Wolf Prize in Mathematics.
News from the EMS
EMS Schools in Applied Mathematics 2014
- CIME-EMS School on Centralized and Distributed Multi-agent Optimization: Models and Algorithms, Cetraro June 23-June 28.
- EMS-ESMTB School on Mathematical Ecology and Evolution: Dynamics of Infectious Deseases. Helsinki, August 17-14.
- ESI-EMS-IAMP School on Mathematical Relativity, Vienna, July 28-August 1.
EMS Schools 2014
- Interactions between Dynamical Systems and PDEs, Barcelona, June 16-20.
Activites sponsored by the EMS
- 6th European Women in Mathematics Summer School. Institute Mittag-Leffler, June 23-27.
- First Joint International Meeting RSME-SCM-SEMA-SIMAI-UMI,
Bilbao, June 30-July 4.
- Caucasian Mathematical Conference
Tbilisi, Georgia, September 5-6, 2014-02-08
A joint initiative from: The Armenian Mathematical Union, the Azerbajan Mathematical Unions, the Georgian Mathematical Union, the Iranian Mathematical Society, the Moscow Mathematical Society and the Turkish Mathematical Society.
The website coming soon.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com
News from EMS Member Societies
Cyprus Mathematical Society
- EUROMATH 2014 Conference for pupils of age 9-18, hosted in Nicosia, Cyprus from 24-28 April 2014, http://www.euromath.org
- New Competitions launched
MATHeatre Europe 2014 and MATHFactor Europe 2014
Online-Phase 1 deadline: 7 February 2014
Final live competitions: 26 and 27 April 2014, Nicosia, Cyprus
- SEEMOUS-2014 (South-Eastern European Mathematical Olympiad for University Students), 5-9 March 2014, Iasi, Romania
- New publications
Manual of Scripts for MATHeatre, ISBN978-9963-2993-0-0
Mathematical Stories for Theatre, ISBN 978-9963-9697-1-2
Edinburgh Mathematical Society
Every four years the Edinburgh Mathematical Society awards the Sir Edmund Whittaker Memorial Prize to an outstanding young mathematician having a specified connection with Scotland.
The Whittaker Prize 2013 has been awarded to Dr Stuart White, Senior Lecturer at the School of Mathematics and Statistics of the University of Glasgow for his contributions to functional analysis.
Society of Appied & Industrial Mathematics(SMAI)
- Curves and Surfaces, 8th international conference organised by SMAI and its group SIGMA in Paris, June 12-18, 2014.
- The CANUM (Numerical analysis congress) annual manifestation organized by the SMAI and this year the Aix-Marseille university will take place in Carry-le-Rouet near Marseilles, March 31st, April 4th 2014.
- The third maths jobs fair co-organized by the cluster of excellence AMIES, the SFDS, and the SMAI was held in Paris on December 6, 2013. Dedicated to the promotion of math jobs in industry, the event gathered approximately 1500 visitors (most of them graduate students) who could attend specific conferences, meet companies, academics, learned societies (SFDS, SMAI and SIAM) at about 80 booths. Following the recurrent success of the first editions, this event is likely to become an annual one.
Royal Spanish Mathematical Society
The second Japanese-Spanish workshop on Differential Geometry was held on 5. Feb. 2014 - 10. Feb. 2014 at Tokyo Institute of Technology. This is part of the activities that take place within the Spain-Japan year celebrating 400 years of collaboration. http://www.kotaroy.com/je-geom/
Spanish Society of Statistics and Operational Research (SEIO)
On December 20, 2013, the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operational Research (SEIO) held a closing ceremony for the International Year of Statistics.
More information at http://www.uclm.es/profesorado/jesuslopezfidalgo/SEIOIYS13EN.pdf
Spanish Society of Applied Mathematics (SeMA)
- The SeMA award for best article published in the SeMA Journal during the year 2012 was awarded to Professor Patrick Joly (CNRS / ENSTA / INRIA).
- The SeMA Prize "Antonio Valle" for young researchers was awarded to
Alberto Enciso (Complutense University of Madrid).
Turkish Mathematical Society
Last September, the Turkish Math Society called its members for a special General Assembly. The main item in the meeting was the EMS Code of Practice and its dissemination in the Turkish Math community. Before the meeting, the Code and its Turkish translation was shared and discussed with the members. The response to the Code was very positive, and it was accepted unanimously in the General Assembly.
News from the Research Centers of the EMS Committee ERCOM
International Center of Mathematics (CIM), Portugal
3rd International Conference Dynamics Games and Science (DGS III), 17-21 February, 2014 at University of Porto Portugal.
DGS III is a Mathematics of Planet Earth MPE event supported by CIM
Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (IMA)
Five of IMA members are among a list of 100 Leading UK Scientists.
Two IMA members are identified as ‘developer/translational’ scientists: Dr Nira Chamberlain (Npower) and Prof. Alistair Fitt (Oxford Brookes University). Another two are ‘investigator’ scientists: Prof. John McWhirter (School of Engineering, Cardiff University), and Dr Ahmer Wadee (Imperial College London). The fifth IMA member is identified as a ‘business' scientist: Dr Ben Dias, (Tesco Stores Limited).
The full list is available at
Issue #91 is going to be online at the beginning of March:
In this issue:
Editorial: Laureates Meet Young Researchers in Heidelberg – H. Holden, H. Munthe-Kaas & D. Schleicher
- Periods and the Conjectures of Grothendieck and Kontsevich–Zagier – J. Ayoub
- The Legacy of Kurt Mahler – J. M. Borwein, Y. Bugeaud & M. Coons
- Paul Erdös in the 21st Century – M. Simonovits
- The Legacy of Vladimir Andreevich Steklov in Mathematical Physics: Work and School – N. Kuznetsov
- Open Access – Four Opinions
- Korea for the Visiting Mathematician – T. Kuessner & O. Teschke
- A Celebration of 50 Years Past, and a Vision for the Next 50 Years – C. Budd
- The Diderot Mathematical Forum 2013 in Berlin, Exeter and Zagreb – E. Behrends, F. M. Brückler & M. Chaleyat-Maurel
- Journal Profiles and Beyond: What Makes a Mathematics Journal “General”? – H. Mihaljevic´ -Brandt & O. Teschke
EMS Publishing House
Most recent Books
Basic Noncommutative Geometry - Second edition
Advances in Representation Theory of Algebras
Edited by David J. Benson, Henning Krause and Andrzej Skowroński
Proceedings of the European Congress of Mathematics - Kraków, 2 – 7 July, 2012
Edited by Rafał Latała, Andrzej Ruciński, Paweł Strzelecki, Jacek Świątkowski, Dariusz Wrzosek and Piotr Zakrzewski
More information available on:http://www.ems-ph.org/
For questions, comments or suggestions about the e-News, please contact Professor Mireille Chaleyat-Maurel/, Université Paris Descartes, Editor of the EMS E-News.
Previous EMS E-news: