The EMS’s 25th anniversary
The society celebrated its 25th birthday at a one day meeting on October 22, 2015, in the Institut Henri Poincaré in Paris. The programme included lectures by Hendrik Lenstra, Laure Saint-Raymond, Lászlo Lóvász and Andrew Stuart, as well as panel discussion with Peter Bühlmann, Maria Esteban, Ari Laptev and Roberto Natalini, moderated by Jean-Pierre Bourguignon. This was followed by a reception at the Town Hall of Paris’s 5th district, the Latin Quarter.
The Executive Committee meeting
The EMS Executive Committee met on November 27-29 in the Steklov Institute in Moscow to discuss a number of issues including the 7th ECM in Berlin next summer, the bids for the 8th ECM, and renewal of some of the EMS committees.
The future EMS Newsletter Editor-in-Chief
The executive committee appointed Valentin Zagrebnov of Université de Provence the next Editor-in-Chief of our Newsletter. He will take over from Lucia di Vizio in the middle of the next year.
New ICIAM President
An active member of the EMS, Maria J. Esteban, started on October 1 her four-year term as president of the International Council for Industrial and Applied Mathematics. The EMS is an associate member of ICIAM and takes an active part in its events.
The 7TH European Congress
The quadrennial Congress of the European Mathematical Society, 7ECM, will be held in Berlin, Germany, July 18 - 22, 2016. The Programme contains ten Plenary Lectures, 31 Invited Lectures, several Prize Lectures, the Hirzebruch Lecture, the Abel Lecture and much more. 100 Grants will be offered to mathematicians from less developed countries. All abstracts and proposals must be submitted via the 7ECM registration platform.
EMS Summer Schools
EMS-ESMTB (European Society for Mathematical and Theoretical Biology) summer schools in 2016:
- Helsinki summer school on Mathematical ecology and evolution: Structured populations will take place from 21st to 28th August 2016 in Linnasmäki Conference Centre in Turku, Finland.
For more information, see http://bit.ly/1T45Hqq
2) The summer school Mathematical Modeling of Tissue Mechanics will take place from 25th to 29th July 2016 at the Lorentz Center in Leiden, the Netherlands.
News from EMS Member Societies
Caucasian Mathematical Conference (CMC)
The second Caucasian Mathematics Conference will be organized in Van, Turkey, on 25-26 Augu, 2016 under the auspices of the EMS, with the cooperation of the Armenian, Azerbaijan, Georgian, Iranian, Russian and Turkish Mathematical Societies. The aim of the CMC is to bring together mathematicians from Caucasian and neighboring countries biannually. The CMC is partially supported by the EMS and welcomes mathematicians from all over the world.
For more information, see http://euro-math-soc.eu/cmc
Catalan Mathematical Society (SCM)
The Societat Catalana de Matematiques awards the Barcelona Dynamical Systems Prize 2015, under the patronage of Prof. Carles Simó, ex aequo to:
- Alberto Enciso and Daniel Peralta-Salas as the authors of the paper Existence of knotted vortex tubes in steady Euler flows, Acta Math. 214 (2015), no. 1, 61-134
- Marcel Guardia, Pau Martin and Tere M. Seara as the authors of the paper Oscillatory motions for the restricted planar circular three body problem, Invent. Math., published online 11 April 2015, pp 1-76.
For more information, see: http://bit.ly/1T47xaJ
Czech Mathematical Society
The Czech Mathematical Society announces with deep sorrow that in the morning of 20th November 2015 the leading Czech mathematician and well-known specialist in linear algebra Prof. Miroslav Fiedler passed away.
Italian Mathematical Union
The first Joint Brazil - Italy Meeting will take place 29 August -2 September 2016 at IMPA of Rio de Janeiro. The program will include plenary lectures and special sessions. The participation of young mathematicians (post-docs and students in the final stage of their PhD) is particularly welcome.
For more information, see: http://www.sbm.org.br/jointmeeting-italy/
Polish Mathematical Society
The International Stefan Banach Prize 2016
The Polish Mathematical Society opens the call for The International Stefan Banach Prize for a doctoral dissertation in the mathematical sciences defended in the last three years (2013-2015). Nominations are welcome from the following countries: Poland, Belarus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Slovakia, Sweden or Ukraine. Nominations must be received not later than January 31, 2016.
For more information, see: http://banachprize.org/
The Stefan Banach Medal, 2015
Henryk Iwaniec, a Polish American mathematician, is a laureate of the 2015 Stefan Banach Medal for outstanding achievements in mathematical sciences, awarded by the Polish Academy of Sciences.
Royal Spanish Mathematical Society (RSME)
2016 Lluis Santaló Research School
The 2016 edition of the Lluis Santaló Research School, entitled “Geometric Algebra Techniques in Mathematics, Physics and Engineering”, will be held at Universidad Menéndez Pelayo (Santander, Spain), 22-26 August 2016.
For more information, see: http://www.rsme.es/content/view/1865/1/
José Luis Rubio de Francia Prize for young mathematicians, 2015
The JLRF prize is awarded by Real Sociedad Matemática Española (RSME), under the patronage of Universidad Autónoma de Madrid and Universidad de Zaragoza. Its aim is to recognize and encourage young mathematicians under the age of 32. The call is open until 31 December 2015.
For more information, see http://www.rsme.es/content/view/1824/1/
The Society of Mathematicians, Physicists and Astronomers of Slovenia
Professor Ivan Vidav (1918-2015) has passed away at the age of 98. Vidav dominated Slovenian mathematics from the 1950s to the 1980s. He worked mainly in functional analysis, where he is best known for his metric characterization of self-adjoint operators and the related Vidav-Palmer theorem, which characterizes C*-algebras among all Banach algebras.
Spanish Society of Applied Mathematics (SeMA)
2015 SEMA prizes:
- The Antonio Valle Prize to Young Researchers is awarded to Carmen Rodrigo from University of Zaragoza for the novelty and depth of her research in numerical methods for partial differential equations.
- The Prize for Best Paper in the SeMA Journal is awarded to the manuscript entitled Variational views of stokeslets and stresslets by Francisco-Javier Sayas and Virginia Selgas.
News from Institutional Members
Centre International de Rencontres Mathématiques (CIRM)
- The next Jean-Morlet Chair semester will be held by Dipendra Prasad (TIFR, Mumbai) and Volker Heiermann (Aix-Marseille Université) from January till June 2016.
- CIRM is pleased to announce that the French version of its new website is now up and running:
European Society for Mathematical and Theoretical Biology (ESMTB)
The joint ESMTB-SMB (Society for Mathematical Biology) conference ECMTB 2016 will take place in Nottingham, UK, 11-15 July 2016.
For more information, see: www.ecmtb2016.org
News from EMS Committees
Electronic Publishing Committee (EPC)
- The Executive Board of the EuDML (European Digital Mathematics Library) Initiative held a remote meeting on 23rd November to discuss its further development.
- The EPC and Publications Committee are, jointly with the AMS, preparing a special session on Open Access for the 7ECM in Berlin.
Raising Public Awareness Committee (RPAC)
The 7th Diderot Mathematical Forum “Biomedical Applications of Mathematics” will be held in the three towns (Paris, Madrid, Milano) on March 15th, 2016.
Contact: Roberto Natalini (RPAC Chair) email@example.com
Women in Mathematics Committee
- In September the committee held a face-to-face meeting during the EWM (European Women in Mathematics) conference in Italy.
- Plans are underway for events during the 7th ECM, including lectures, a public talk and a portrait exhibition.
- A second majority female EMS-EWM summer school at Institut Mittag Leffler will take place in June 2016.
- For the great majority of European countries we have collated good up to date information about the situation regarding female mathematicians.
- Concerns have been raised about the difficulties experienced by women or families with young children attending programmes at some of the European research centres. We will be bringing this issue to the ERCOM meeting in April 2016.
- Marie-Francoise Roy and Caroline Series from our committee are Chair and Vice-Chair respectively of the new IMU Committee for Women in Mathematics (CWM).
- CWM has just issued a call for projects to establish networks of female mathematicians worldwide at the continental level.
EMS Newsletter, No. 98 (December 2015)
Issue No. 98 of the Newsletter has been online since December 1st and will be soon in your mailboxes.
The series of papers on the 25th anniversary of the EMS continues, with articles on more recent ECMs and the editorial by R. Elwes about the celebration of the EMS Jubilee in Paris.
You can also read an interview with the Abel laureate L. Nirenberg, an interview of M. Bhargava, and a written version of the lecture given by S. Burris on the occasion of the bicentennial of George Boole.
The December issue also contains “Problems for Children” by V. Arnold, courtesy of the AMS and the MSRI.
Keep up with the EMS and its Newsletter on social media:
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+EuromathsocEurope
EMS PUBLISHING HOUSE
- Matthias Aschenbrenner, Stefan Friedl and Henry Wilton, 3-Manifold Groups
- Hans Triebel, Tempered Homogeneous Function Spaces
- Free Loop Spaces in Geometry and Topology (Including the monograph Symplectic cohomology and Viterbo’s theorem by Mohammed Abouzaid) Editors: Janko Latschev and Alexandru Oancea
For more information about our Publishing House, see
News from IMAGINARY
Snapshots of modern mathematics from Oberwolfach
Snapshots are short, easy to understand articles on recent topics of mathematical research. They explain mathematical problems and ideas in an accessible and understandable way, and provide exciting insights into current topics of the mathematical community for everyone who is interested in modern mathematics.
The IMAGINARY Conference 2016 (IC16)
The IMAGINARY Conference on open and collaborative communication of mathematical research is an interdisciplinary gathering for mathematicians, communicators and interested professionals to discuss and work together on current issues of communication and knowledge transfer in mathematics. IC16 will be held in Berlin, Germany on July 20-23 2016.
For questions, comments or suggestions about the e-News, please contact Professor Mireille Chaleyat-Maurel, Université Paris Descartes, Editor of the EMS E-News.