- Scientists call for transparency, openness, and mobility
The EMS has signed an open letter from over forty European learned and professional societies expressing the community’s worries about recent political developments.
- The Executive Committee Meeting
The EMS Executive Committee will hold its regular spring meeting in 17-19th March in Bratislava. The agenda contains a number of items including a proposed merger of the Publications and Electronic Publishing Committees.
- Presidents Meeting
The traditional annual meeting of the presidents of EMS member societies convenes this year at the beginning of April in Lisbon on the kind invitation of the Portuguese Mathematical Society.
- ICM 2022
With great pleasure, the EMS notes that it is now guaranteed that the ICM will return to Europe after sixteen long years. The only two live bids for organising the 2022 congress are from Paris and Saint Petersburg.
- ICIAM call for nominations
ICIAM opened the call for nominations for its prizes, to be awarded at its next congress in 2019 in Valencia. EMS members are invited to consider possible nominees.
News from EMS Member Societies
* Austrian & German Mathematical Societies
-19th ÖMG Congress and Annual DMV Meeting
By longstanding tradition, the Austrian and German Mathematical Societies organise a joint congress every four years. The 19th ÖMG Congress and Annual DMV Meeting will take place at the University of Salzburg, Austria, 11-15th September 2017. Apart from attractive plenary talks, the congress will feature 17 sessions of contributed talks and 8 minisymposia. Adjunct meetings will be dedicated to stochastics, statistics, a teacher's conference, a students' conference, and a day organised by universities of applied sciences. Registration is open until July 31, and abstract submission until June 30.
* Royal Dutch Mathematical Society
- The Dutch Mathematical Congress will be held in Utrecht April 11-12th.
- At the Congress, Ken Ribet will be awarded the Brouwer Medal (a triennial award presented by the Royal Dutch Mathematical Society and the Royal Netherlands Academy of Sciences).
* French Statistical Society (SFdS)
- The SFdS will co-organize with ECAS (European Courses in Advanced Statistics) the summer school High Dimensional Statistics, Theory and Practice, Fréjus, France, 1-7 October, 2017. This course comprises an introduction and recent advances in high dimensional statistics, addressing theoretical, methodological and practical aspects.
- SFdS will organize a session in September 2017, during the conference ENBIS-17, 9-14th September, 2017, in Naples (Italy).
* Société de Mathématiques Appliquées et Industrielles (SMAI)
- The next CEMRACS will take place 25 July - 17th August. Its goal is to bring together scientists from academic and industrial communities. Cemracs was initiated in 1996 by Yvon Maday and Frédéric Coquel and takes place every year at CIRM in Luminy (Marseille, France) for 6 weeks.
- A 2-day workshop on Applied Mathematics, "Le Monde des Mathématiques Industrielles" (MOMI2017), will be held 27-28 February 2017 in Amphi Kahn, Inria Sophia Antipolis-Mediteranée (France) and will be concluding the current chapter of PhD Seminars: Applied Mathematics, Computation and Simulation.
Initiated in France by SMAI, inspired by the Italian SIMAI, Maddmaths is a newsletter for high-school students. Subscribe by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SMAI and the CNAM Museum of Arts and Business are organizing a cycle of conferences for high schools on "An Object, Some Maths". The next two conferences will be dedicated to the "Pascaline" and the multiplication device of Léon Bollée.
- The fifth FEM (Maths Forum Employment) co-organized by AMIES, SFdS and SMAI took place in Paris at "La Cité des Sciences" last December. About 1500 students attended and around 50 companies were present at booths and leading short sessions.
- The math-business PhD prize, on the aegis of the learned societies SFdS, SMAI, and SMF, was awarded to Pierre Gaillard (EDF).
- The annual SMAI congress will take place in La Tremblade (Charente-Maritime), 5-9th June 2017.
- The 22nd Maths-Industries meeting, initiated by the CNRS and SMAI, will take place in the Ecole Polytechnique (Palaiseau), 13th March 2017.
* Italian Mathematical Union (UMI)
- Book prize of UMI - second edition
The Unione Matematica Italiana has established a Prize, sponsored by Springer-Verlag, of 4000 Euros, to honour an excellent, original monograph in any field of mathematics. Application and nomination letters should arrive at the UMI office (Piazza di Porta San Donato 5, I-40126 Bologna) by 31 October 2017.
- On Trump's executive order
The UMI shares the concerns expressed by EMS President Professor Pavel Exner, about the US administration’s decision to temporarily suspend travel to the US from seven countries. As Prof. Exner points out, such policies may jeopardize the international collaboration upon which science depends.
* Italian Association of Mathematics Applied to Economic and Social Sciences (AMASES)
- Summer School on "Dynamic models in Economics and Finance" (SSEF Canazei 2017) Alba di Canazei, Trento (Italy), 17-21 July 2017 . The school is jointly organized by AMASES, the Department of Economics, Society, Politics, University of Urbino and Department of Economics, University of Verona.
* Kosovo Mathematical Society (KMS)
The KMS has elected a new President , Prof. Dr, Muhib Lohaj, Professor in the Department of Mathematics at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences of the University "Hasan Prishtina" in Prishtina.
* Polish Mathematical Society
- The 8th annual Forum of Polish Mathematicians, will be held 18-22 September 2017, in Lublin. The special guest this year will be Efim Zelmanov (University of California, San Diego, USA), 1994 Fields Medallist.
- Polish Women in Mathematics initiates a new cycle of conferences entitled "On the Trail of Women in Mathematics". The first is subtitled "The Centenary of the Birth of Professor Helena Rasiowa" to commemorate the famous Polish logician. It will take place in Rzeszów, 22-24 June 2017.
* Spanish Applied Mathematics Society (SēMA)
- CEDYA + CMA 2017 The 25th Congress on Differential Applications & Applications / 15th Congress on Applied Mathematics will be held in Cartagena (Region of Murcia, Spain), 26-30 June 2017. The main objective of this edition, which will be held in the region of Murcia for first time, is to serve as a meeting place for researchers in the fields of Differential Equations, Numerical Analysis and Applied Mathematics at all scopes. The deadline to send an abstract is 24th March 2017.
* Royal Spanish Mathematical Society (RSME)
- Women and Mathematics Youtube Channel
On 11th February (International Day of Women and Girls in Science), the committee for Women and Mathematics of Real Sociedad Matemática Española launched a Youtube channel to encourage young girls into Mathematics and Science.
- IV Joint Meeting RSME-SMM
The fourth joint Meeting between Real Sociedad Matemática Española and Sociedad Matemática Mexicana will take place at Universidad de Valladolid (Spain), 19-22 June 2017.
- 4th RSME Conference for Young Researchers:
The 4th edition of the RSME Conference for Young Researchers will take place at Universitat de València from 4-8 September 2017.
* Spanish Statistics and Operations Research Society
- Knowledge Frontiers in Basic Sciences Prize
The Spanish bank BBVA has awarded the Knowledge Frontiers in Basic Sciences Prize this year to two Statisticians, David Cox (1924) and Bradley Efron (1938). Their contributions to Statistics include important methodologies, now widely used in practice.
* Swedish Mathematical Society
UNED (The National University of Distance Education), Madrid, has awarded its Medal of Honor to Milagros Izquierdo, Professor of Mathematics at Linköping University and President of the Swedish Mathematical Society, for her research contributions and collaboration with UNED in the area of Riemann surfaces and algebraic curves, and her work in the Erasmus program promoting student exchanges.
* Institute of Mathematics and Application (IMA)
- The IMA is now a signatory of the Science Council's Declaration on Diversity which is intended to promote equality, diversity and inclusion throughout the scientific community and challenge prejudice and discrimination.
- The 2016 IMA-LMS Christopher Zeeman Medal is awarded to Rob Eastaway. His award lecture, Maths, Teamwork and Googlies, will take place on 22 March 2017 at The Royal Society. The Medal was created to recognise and acknowledge the contributions of mathematicians involved in promoting mathematics to the public and engaging with the public in mathematics.
- The IMA Gold Medal 2016 is awarded to Professor Tony Croft (Professor of Mathematics Education, Loughborough University) and Professor Duncan Lawson (Pro-Vice Chancellor for Formative Education, Newman University). The award is made for a continuing programme of work, led jointly by both medal winners, concerning and focussing upon improving the learning and teaching of mathematics by students of all disciplines.
News from Corporate Members
* Institut Mittag-Leffler
As from 1st January 2017, the IML is working with International Press as the new publisher for the journals Acta Mathematica and Arkiv för Matematik. According to this agreement both journals are already free online. In
particular, one can read electronic versions of papers published in Acta Mathematica from 1882 up to the current issue, free of charge.
News from EMS Committees
* Applied Mathematics
- Year of Mathematical Biology 2018
Together with the European Society for Mathematical and Theoretical Biology (ESMTB), the EMS will organize the Year of Mathematical Biology 2018. This year will feature events related to mathematical biology at the European level, including the European Conference on Mathematical and Theoretical Biology (ECMTB) 2018 in Lisbon, Portugal, a thematic program at the Mittag-Leffler institute, and various other initiatives and events. The Society for Mathematical Biology (SMB) has also joined this initiative transforming it into a worldwide scale event. The list of activities and the list of members of the organizing committee, chaired by Jose Antonio Carrillo (Chair of the EMS Applied Mathematics Committee), is maintained at:
The EMS Ethics Committee met in Strasbourg on February 4 and 5, 2017. The EMS President was present during most of the meeting, which was kindly hosted by the Institut de Recherche Mathématique Avancée (IRMA) of the Université de Strasbourg and the Societé Mathématique de France. Following a request from the EMS Executive Committee, the Ethics Committee, besides working on pending cases, dedicated much of the
time to preparing a document on Conflicts of Interest. This document has been submitted to the Executive Committee for consideration. On the day before the meeting, the IRMA had scheduled a special session of its Mathematics Colloquium under the title "From plagiarism to dubious editorial practices: Insights into the work of the Ethics Committee of the European Mathematical Society". It was structured as a round-table where the EMS Code of Practice was presented together with anonymous examples of the actual cases handled by the Ethics Committee. Committee members were available to answer questions from the audience.
The March 2017 issue will be appearing soon! Highlights will include:
- Editorial – Message from the President – P. Exner
- Spectral Synthesis for Operators and Systems - A. Baranov & Y. Belov
- Diffusion, Optimal Transport and Ricci Curvature for Metric Measure Spaces - L. Ambrosio, N. Gigli & G. Savaré
- Claude Shannon: His Work and Its Legacy - M. Effros & H.V. Poor
- Visions for Mathematical Learning: The Inspirational Legacy of Seymour Papert (1928–2016) - C. Hoyles & R. Noss
- Do We Create Mathematics or Do We Gradually Discover Theories Which Exist Somewhere Independently of Us? - V.L. Popov
- Mathematics: Art and Science - A. Borel
- Results of a Worldwide Survey of Mathematicians on Journal Reform - C. Neylon, D.M. Roberts & M.C. Wilson
- International Research Center on Mathematics and Mechanics of Complex Systems - F. dell’Isola, L. Placidi & E. Barchiesi
- Reasons to Join the London Mathematical Society (LMS)* - E. Fisher
- ICMI Column - J.L. Dorier
- Solved and Unsolved Problems - M.T. Rassias
Reminder: you can browse all issues of the EMS Newsletter (past & present) online:
*Fisher’s article is part of an “exchange”, the other half of which saw EMS publicity officer Richard Elwes writing in the LMS newsletter. That article can be read here:
Keep up with the EMS and its Newsletter on social media:
EMS PUBLISHING HOUSE
Vincent Guedj and Ahmed Zeriahi, Degenerate Complex Monge-Ampère Equations
Representation Theory - Current Trends and Perspectives
Henning Krause, Peter Littelmann, Gunter Malle, Karl-Hermann Neeb and Christoph Schweigert, (eds)
Nicolas Raymond, Bound States of the Magnetic Schrödinger Operator
Alessio Figalli, The Monge-Ampère Equation and Its Applications
Dynamics Done with Your Bare Hands
Françoise Dal'Bo, François Ledrappier and Amie Wilkinson (eds)
For more information about our Publishing House, see http://www.ems-ph.org/
For questions, comments or suggestions about the e-News, please contact Professor Mireille Chaleyat-Maurel, Université Paris Descartes, Editor of the EMS E-News.